By Dr. Hassan Shamsi Basha
It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas: I was riding behind the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) one day and he said: “O boy, I shall teach you some words. Be mindful of Allaah and He will take care of you. Be mindful of Allaah and He will protect you. If you ask then ask of Allaah, and if you seek help then seek help from Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you in some way, they would not benefit you except in something that Allaah has decreed for you, and if they were to gather together to harm you in some way, they would not harm you except in something that Allaah has decreed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2516).
Here are some ways to avoid anxiety.
1) The length of your life has already been decided upon, for everything takes place according to preordainment and decree. So there is no need to feel anxious in that regard.
2) The decision of how much sustenance any one of us receives is with Allah alone. No one else owns that sustenance or has power to take it from you.
3) The past is gone and has taken with its woes and miseries. It cannot return even if the whole of mankind worked as one unit to bring it back.
4) The future is from unseen world and has not yet arrived. It brings with it matter, showing no regard to your permission or feelings, so do not call it forth until it actually arrives.
5) Doing good to others bring happiness to both the heart and the soul. A good deed provides greater benefits to the benefactor in terms of blessings and recompense and peace, than it does to the receiver.
6) Among the noble qualities of the believer is that he doesn’t concern himself with spurious criticism. No one has been saved from curses and criticism, not even Allah, the Lord of all that exists, Who is Perfect and Exalted.