A prison is not supposed to be a place of permanent dwelling and the idea is to serve the sentence and exit peacefully for a better future. That's the real pursuit.
Pursuit Of Knowledge
Knowledge refers to everything that there is to be learned by our Creator, Allah SWT. And while some conservative perspectives decode it to be just Islamic knowledge, the more and more complete definition is the comprehensive knowledge of the world and its sciences, and all Creations of Allah SWT. This learning includes the Qur'an, Hadith, and Sunnah as a basic core and then academic sciences that we go after because they are studies of Allah SWT and His Creation if you think about it. Biology is the study of life, Chemistry is of molecules and substances Allah SWT created and Man discovered, and engineer learns Phsyics which is Allah's forces and phenomenon at play to run the show, and the list is endless.
So it is important to make dua'a this Ramadan for Allah SWT to increase our knowledge and guide us to the right resources. Prophet Muhammad SAWW guided us and said: "Ask Allah for beneficial knowledge and seek refuge with Allah from knowledge that is of no benefit." Sunan Ibn Majah 3843. Our lives should be spent; therefore, in pursuit of the fundamental types of knowledge that would complete our existence as we transition into the next world from this world.
- Knowledge of the Qur'an: its pronunciation and meaning
- Knowledge of Hadith: the authentic narratives of Prophet Muhammad SAWW which complete religious understanding
- Knowledge of Sunnah: the righteous and perfect code of life as lived by Prophet Muhammad SAWW
- Knowledge of Fiqh: the right decision-making knowledge each Muslim should have to live the Halal way
- Knowledge of Islamic history: our golden heritage
Pursuit Of Worship
Worship also has a very broad meaning beyond the five times compulsory daily prayers (salah). Each act done to please the Creator is worship. If you bow your head, prostrate, and make dua'a that is worship. If you serve His people with kindness and love and bring humankind no harm, that; too, is worship. If you adhere to the teachings of the Qur'an, Hadith, and Sunnah, that is worship. And, if you control the evils within your psyche (nafs) that; too, is worship. This Ramadan, God Willing (insha'Allah) work towards de-stressing from the dunya by focusing on selfless, dedicated worship of Allah SWT. Focus on:
- Worshiping the Omnipotent, the Almighty, and none other but Allah - the God of Heavens and Earth
- Worship with sincere dua'a - the essence of worship
- Worship with belief that only Allah SWT can make trials easy upon you, and He definitely will
- Worship in the early hours of the day - Fajr
- Worship in the later hours of the night - Tahajjud
- Worship extra! - Nawafil