by Ruby S.
Often, we can get caught up in our daily routines—going to school, taking care of kids, shopping, taking care of our homes, working, and so on. We sometimes forget that our relationships also need attention and care. Like any relationship, the one between husband and wife needs maintenance and nurturing. If either husband or wife in a relationship neglects that bond or takes it for granted, chances are that the other spouse will feel hurt or abandoned.
To actually care about the relationship, pay attention to each other and to offer little gestures and gifts that show your love are some things couples should do to honor that bond. Spending time with each other is another beneficial thing to do. More importantly, it is NOT a waste of time just going out for dinner or spending some money buying gifts, for example. Some people might think it is unnecessary and a waste of valuable time/money to go out with your spouse. But actually, these gestures increase the love for one another. They bring the couple closer together and allow them to forget about the daily life routine for just a little while to focus on their own relationship. How can it be a waste of time if you are getting to increase your love for your spouse?
The good news is that as a married couple, you can still go out on “dates”! If you set aside time for any of these dates, you will find yourself having fun and enjoying your day inshaAllah. If you have young kids, have someone watch them for a little while (maybe a close friend, your parents, or a babysitter). If you want to make family outings, go ahead! It is all about having fun and enjoying your time.
1) Become a tourist in your own city: it does not matter where you live, because when you act like you are from out of town, you will find so many fun things about your own city! Drive around or take walks, check out the parks, museums, and cafes, or find the top tourist sites and visit them!
2) Do mess-making, sticky-hands activities: here are some ideas—bake something together if you are the foodie type, plant a garden if you have a green thumb, or paint something together if you are the artsy type. Whatever you choose, you will get laughs and have a blast just being with each other.
3) Try an activity you have never done: ice skating, roller blading, riding a roller coaster, rowing a boat, or hiking in the mountains to name a few. Go out of your comfort zones to explore and deepen your trust in each other.
4) Plan a yummy day: visit 4 very different types of restaurants/eateries—start out with a small coffee or tea in a café, stop at a bakery for a quick appetizer-breadsticks, take a main course at a restaurant, and finish up at a dessert shop for a lasting sweet ending. This can be a little pricey, but it’s a unique change to your normal “romantic dinner”.
5) Pack a picnic basket and head somewhere scenic. No matter where you are, there is bound to be a beautiful spot—a sunset picnic at the beach, a peaceful lunch near a forest, or a fun afternoon at the park.
Spending quality time with your significant other increases the love between the two of you. You learn more about each other, build on your strengths, and appreciate your spouse for who he is. It is a part of the Sunnah, as the Prophet SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam used to spend time with his wives as well. These activities are just some suggestions, but if you have your own ideas, comment below!
I'd love to hear your views on this topic. Please post in the comments section below!